Notifications
Clear all

M600 and filament change  

RSS
zoltanf
(@zoltanf)
Eminent Member
M600 and filament change

So after doing adding some filament changes on one of the layers (done with M600 from https://www.prusaprinters.org/color-print ) I see that after changing the filament and confirming that the new colour is correct, the printer starts extruding (extruder motor is moving) and around 4-5 cm of filament comes out even before the head starts moving back to the original position to continue the print. If I'm super quick I can grab this piece so it does not stuck the model and interfere with further printing, but I don't understand why is it doing that. If the filament change was a success the filament is anyway ready to be extruded, why add an additional pre-extrusion before continuing the print?

Thanks!

Posted : 12/12/2018 8:12 pm
bob.h7
(@bob-h7)
Eminent Member
Re: M600 and filament change

+1 me too.
Also during a TUNE filament change.
What gives?

Posted : 12/12/2018 10:09 pm
JoanTabb
(@joantabb)
Veteran Member Moderator

that is the way Marlin works, the squirt is intended to ensure the nozzle is primed...

if you change the filament., RESIST the temptation to pluck the waste off the nozzle,

instead, simply hold the waste with your long nose pliers, and click to say the colour is clear,,,

then the printer will give it's last squirt and run off to continue the print, and you will be left holding all of the waste...
no need to chase the waste, no mess

Joan

I try to make safe suggestions,You should understand the context and ensure you are happy that they are safe before attempting to apply my suggestions, what you do, is YOUR responsibility. Location Halifax UK

Posted : 13/12/2018 12:04 am
Area51
(@area51)

The method joan.t describes works great for PLA, but if you are printing PETG, I find it best to grab the filament when it extrudes and snap it off just before continuing the print - otherwise it will stick to the nozzle and be dragged into the print.
There is a longer discussion on GitHub on the subject, try a search for M600.

Have a look at my models on Printables.com 😉

Posted : 13/12/2018 4:22 am
toaf
 toaf
(@toaf)
Noble Member

100% this is what happens. but at least you are there changing filaments, so its not that hard to babysit it. trust me ive done it plenty, now my mmu does it for me... yaaaa.

I have a Prusa,therefore I research.

Posted : 13/12/2018 4:45 am
zoltanf
(@zoltanf)
Eminent Member
Topic starter answered:

joan.t and Area51 thanks for the great tips, will try it like that for PLA/PETG.

Posted : 13/12/2018 8:40 am
Abunchahicks
(@abunchahicks)

Jumping in on this thread. In previous firmware during an M600 color change the fan would stop making it easy to grab the discharged filament. Now with 3.5 the fan stays on and during the discharge it blows the filament across the build plate making it harder to grab. Is there an easy way to turn the fan off?

Posted : 13/12/2018 2:31 pm
Share: