Notifications
Clear all

Z-axis CAL issue after FW update 3.13.2-7080  

RSS
Tom in VA
(@tom-in-va)
Z-axis CAL issue after FW update 3.13.2-7080

Had my MK3S+ printing perfectly, so I decided I should finally take the jump to latest Firmware. Everything passes the self-tests. In the initial Calibration using the Wizard, I get to the Z-cal step. It moves through the full range of Z and it appears that the Z location of the Bed is at "0" (starts to grab paper slightly when I get to "1"). When the Z-Calibration of the 4-points starts, the head moves in circles and all seems OK. Once it starts moving in a short, straight line, it grabs the paper. I am afraid to proceed any further, since the display says to turn-off the machine if the paper grabs. This has not happened before. 

Doing some basic checks - when I move the Z-axis so the nozzle just touches the Bed, the PINDA is still higher than the Bed by ~ 2.0 mm. 

Not sure where to go from here.

Tom

Posted : 15/01/2024 6:25 pm
Tom in VA
(@tom-in-va)
Topic starter answered:
RE: Z-axis CAL issue after FW update 3.13.2-7080

Reading the PRUSA Handbook, I get the impression that I should lower the PINDA sensor slightly. Does anyone know the recommended height in mm? I am tempted to go to 1.5 mm and try it again.

Did anyone else have to make a PINDA adjustment due to this Firmware upgrade?

Thanks,

Tom

Posted : 15/01/2024 6:36 pm
Hello
(@hello)
Noble Member

The height should be so the pinda pushes down on the cable tie they supply while the nozzle touches the bed

Posted by: @tom-in-va

Reading the PRUSA Handbook, I get the impression that I should lower the PINDA sensor slightly. Does anyone know the recommended height in mm? I am tempted to go to 1.5 mm and try it again.

Did anyone else have to make a PINDA adjustment due to this Firmware upgrade?

Thanks,

Tom

Please help me out by downloading a model it's free and easy but really helps me out https://www.printables.com/@Hello_474427/models

Posted : 15/01/2024 7:03 pm
Tom in VA
(@tom-in-va)
Topic starter answered:

I lowered the PINDA slightly, so it is now approx 1.5 mm above the nozzle. This happens to be the thickness of the flat part of the PRUSA logo that I printed with PLA as part of my initial testing and calibration. So this gives me a useful height measurement for future reference. 

I also heated up the nozzle, unloaded the filament, and cleaned the nozzle to make sure there was no chance of any filament interfering with the calibration. It now seems to be working.

Thanks,

Tom

Posted : 15/01/2024 9:37 pm
Tom in VA
(@tom-in-va)
Topic starter answered:

I just wanted to close this out by saying that this does not appear to have had anything to do with the Firmware update. I think the main issue was some filament on the nozzle. I did want to recalibrate everything with the new firmware, but that was not likely the cause for my trouble with the Z-cal in this case.

Tom

Posted : 16/01/2024 1:16 am
Share: