Why sometimes layer shift along the Y-axis occurs after filament change in the middle of the print?

Notifications
Clear all

Why sometimes layer shift along the Y-axis occurs after filament change in the middle of the print?  

RSS
prusanewuser
(@prusanewuser)
Prominent Member

Hi, I change filaments manually in the middle of the print. Once in awhile, after I changed the filament and pressed the knob to resume the print job, I heard a loud noise but the print job continued. Upon completion, I saw layer shift, along the Y-axis, around the layer where I changed the filament. The loud noise sounded like there was a collision but before I started the print job, the extruder moved smoothly and freely along the X and Y axes and there was nothing blocking the path of the heat bed. What could be the cause? In one print, I changed filaments twice. The first time with that loud noise and the second time had no such noise. The Y-axis belt is within acceptable range according to the Tension Meter and belt test.

Best Answer by fuchsr:

Could it be that after executing a M600, somehow the extruder accelerated too fast to resume the job?  

Never heard of this. Should be a common problem if it occurred.

If there were obstruction, shouldn't that happened in other layers as well instead of the exact two layers were I changed filament?

Yeah, I know, that's where my guess was weak 🙂 

I just couldn't come up with better ideas for a *loud* noise. Could it be hitting infill on the travel from the nozzle to the resting place and/or back? Sure, in particular if you're using an infill pattern such as grid where filament lines across within a layer and can cause pile-ups at the intersection. But that would be more of a soft thud than a loud noise.

This topic was modified 2 years ago by prusanewuser
Posted : 12/08/2022 7:20 pm
fuchsr
(@fuchsr)
Famed Member
RE: Why sometimes layer shift along the Y-axis occurs after filament change in the middle of the print?

A loud noise indicates a mechanical issue. I'd carefully inspect the path of the sheet along the Y axis to make sure there's no obstruction. If it continues to happen, a video might be helpful.

Posted : 12/08/2022 8:01 pm
prusanewuser
(@prusanewuser)
Prominent Member
Topic starter answered:
RE:

Yes, you are right that it indicates a mechanical issue. Besides obstruction along the path, is there another possibility? Could it be that after executing a M600, somehow the extruder accelerated too fast to resume the job?  I didn't notice any obstruction along the path. In the last print, both layer shifts occurred at the layers where I changed filaments. If there were obstruction, shouldn't that happened in other layers as well instead of the exact two layers were I changed filament?

This post was modified 2 years ago by prusanewuser
Posted : 12/08/2022 8:11 pm
fuchsr
(@fuchsr)
Famed Member
RE: Why sometimes layer shift along the Y-axis occurs after filament change in the middle of the print?

Could it be that after executing a M600, somehow the extruder accelerated too fast to resume the job?  

If there were obstruction, shouldn't that happened in other layers as well instead of the exact two layers were I changed filament?

I just couldn't come up with better ideas for a *loud* noise. Could it be hitting infill on the travel from the nozzle to the resting place and/or back? Sure, in particular if you're using an infill pattern such as grid where filament lines across within a layer and can cause pile-ups at the intersection. But that would be more of a soft thud than a loud noise.

Posted : 12/08/2022 8:22 pm
prusanewuser
(@prusanewuser)
Prominent Member
Topic starter answered:
RE:

The print was located at the far right of the build plate (in relation to my point of view in front of the printer). If I recall correctly, the extruder was at the far front during the filament change. Immediately after I pressed the knob to resume the print, I heard that loud sound.

I will keep an eye on this when I print again. Thank you

This post was modified 2 years ago 2 times by prusanewuser
Posted : 12/08/2022 8:40 pm
prusanewuser
(@prusanewuser)
Prominent Member
Topic starter answered:

Posted by: @fuchsr

Previously I replied to your post based on fault memory. I printed again and paid attention to what happened. You are right that the nozzle hit the print. My apology. 

Posted : 14/08/2022 1:10 pm
fuchsr
(@fuchsr)
Famed Member

That's not uncommon for some infill types and/or when you have a bit of curling/warping. I mostly use gyroid or adaptive cubic infill, which don't have intersecting lines. 

Posted : 14/08/2022 1:57 pm
LDanner
(@ldanner)

What was the solution?  I am having the same problem with some of my prints but not all of them and seems to be on ones that have multiple manual color changes.  Only started recently but has ruined several prints so feeling very frustrated.  I use gyroid infill.

Posted : 14/12/2022 5:33 am
Share: