Avisos
Vaciar todo

MK3 - Are you printing with 100% speed?  

Página 2 / 2
  RSS
bobstro
(@bobstro)
Illustrious Member
Re: MK3 - Are you printing with 100% speed?

[...] Yes, set speed according your needs, never go more than 10mm^3/s and don't trust autospeeds or volumetric cap . set all speeds manualy based on math: layer height x extrusion width x speed.
A quick thought on this: You can create a default print settings profile that will work with all nozzle sizes by setting your extrusion widths to "0". It may not yield the best possible quality, but it will get you close. (Actually, I'm pretty happy with the quality.) If you want precision, you do want to create a new profile per nozzle size. I like to go with:

• External perimeters set to exactly the nozzle size for precision.

• Internal perimeters either set to exactly the nozzle size, or use Slic3r's default (1.25 X nozzle size) by specifying 0.

• 1st layer extrusion widths of 1.2 X nozzle size for adhesion. Wider is a good thing.
  • As far as maximum widths, I've read that up to the width of the nozzle -- including the rim around the opening -- will produce good results. Wider than that and you get squishy effects. You can find good details on the genuine E3D nozzles, less so on the cheap brass generics. I'm very curious to see what results you guys get going wider than the nozzle opening.

I'm putting my notes on Slic3rPE settings here.

My notes and disclaimers on 3D printing

and miscellaneous other tech projects
    He is intelligent, but not experienced. His pattern indicates two dimensional thinking. -- Spock in Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan

Respondido : 17/09/2018 7:04 pm
    Tiago
    (@tiago)
    Reputable Member

As far as maximum widths, I've read that up to the width of the nozzle -- including the rim around the opening -- will produce good results. Wider than that and you get squishy effects. You can find good details on the genuine E3D nozzles, less so on the cheap brass generics. I'm very curious to see what results you guys get going wider than the nozzle opening.

Wider is not recommended since you can't control outside the nozzle diameter so it will create bad detail and bumps, i have read somewhere one guy print at limit (1mm wide) with 0.4mm nozzle and it went ok, still not recommended.

The size you want for extrusion width calculation are the "B" size. Note: Volcano nozzle use same diameters as v6
    So a 1.2mm nozzle can print 2.7-2.8mm extrusions, that crazy but slow!

Respondido : 17/09/2018 8:05 pm
    bobstro
    (@bobstro)
    Illustrious Member

[...] The size you want for extrusion width calculation are the "B" size. Note: Volcano nozzle use same diameters as v6
    So a 1.2mm nozzle can print 2.7-2.8mm extrusions, that crazy but slow!
    Interesting. Is that 2.7-2.8 based on a calculation, or simply "B" dimension - ~0.2? I haven't experimented going above 120% of nozzle opening ("A" dimension) diameter yet. Definitely one for the todo list. Thanks.

He is intelligent, but not experienced. His pattern indicates two dimensional thinking. -- Spock in Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan

Respondido : 17/09/2018 8:13 pm
    Tiago
    (@tiago)
    Reputable Member

Interesting. Is that 2.7-2.8 based on a calculation, or simply "B" dimension - ~0.2?

Yes or 80% of B 😀

I haven't experimented going above 120% of nozzle opening ("A" dimension) diameter yet. Definitely one for the todo list. Thanks.

You definitely should try it, you will be amazed with the thick line and how fast it print simple objects. Totaly worth to have a profile with that.
    Currently i rarely use 0.6mm stock settings, i'm always at my maxed setting with 1.2mm lines they produce very good and strong objects it print crazy fast at a bonus of slow speeds = better quality.

A enclosure with 1 perimeter only at 1.2mm extrusions
    https://www.facebook.com/PTRTECH/photos/a.428283400989172/433263680491144/?type=3&theater

I can say that i cut 9h print into 2h and half. Of course comparing with stock v6 + stock nozzle VS volcano 0.6mm nozzle and 1.2mm lines at 0.45mm layer height, thats a 450% improvement or 4.5x faster. If upgrade to a 0.8mm nozzle you can have a little better but not worth and you cant go lower as 0.8mm, only for vases or simple objects all the time...

Respondido : 17/09/2018 8:23 pm
    artem.b
    (@artem-b)
    Topic starter answered:

I'd like to leave some feedback regarding the recommendations I got.

@bobstro, I do believe your recommendations helped improve print quality and reliability! In addition it's such a breeze to stop using the front panel knob 😀 Big thank you!
    What also helped (Im not sure to which degree) is replacing stock rubber feet with hard feet https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2805753 . Indeed printing is a bit noisier now, but there is much less vibration. Vibrations were part of an issue in my case because my printer stays on my electric standing desk which is less stable then regular table.

@tiago.c, I did some prints with extrusion width settings you recommended and indeed print time reduced dramatically. I tried it for small prints and now can see the limitations, but I will be definitely using this profile for bigger prints. Thanks a lot!

Respondido : 19/09/2018 8:36 am
    bobstro
    (@bobstro)
    Illustrious Member

[...] @bobstro, I do believe your recommendations helped improve print quality and reliability! In addition it's such a breeze to stop using the front panel knob 😀 Big thank you!
    You're very welcome. Glad it's helping. I started to get more comfortable with my printer as I understood what settings resulted in what changes. It's nice to have control over what's going on.

What also helped (Im not sure to which degree) is replacing stock rubber feet with hard feet https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2805753 . Indeed printing is a bit noisier now, but there is much less vibration. Vibrations were part of an issue in my case because my printer stays on my electric standing desk which is less stable then regular table. I also printed similar rubber feet, using felt instead of rubber. In my case, my platform (a side table) is pretty solid and anchored to the floor, so the felt "bonded" the feet to the surface. In your case, isolation of the printer from the table might be a good idea, so those sorthobane rubbery pads make sense.

@tiago.c, I did some prints with extrusion width settings you recommended and indeed print time reduced dramatically. I tried it for small prints and now can see the limitations, but I will be definitely using this profile for bigger prints. Thanks a lot!
    I'm away from my printer for a couple of weeks, but definitely want to experiment with those problems. If they work, using wider extrusion widths for layer 1 when printing with very small nozzles should be a big help with adhesion.

Respondido : 19/09/2018 6:58 pm
    Tiago
    (@tiago)
    Reputable Member

Yes, you must look at what you are printing, complex small objects will not print, any line width less than extrusion width will not print. The Slic3r preview also show you that, when missing stuff you can notice, so you can always decide what to took. But if object can take 1.2mm everywhere the overall quality will not bed affected.
    The good thing is you can use first layer and solid infill at 1.2mm, first layer is always "flat" and solid infill is always hidden, so you are sparing time

Respondido : 20/09/2018 4:40 pm
    Tiago
    (@tiago)
    Reputable Member

Yes, you must look at what you are printing, complex small objects will not print, any line width less than extrusion width will not print. The Slic3r preview also show you that, when missing stuff you can notice, so you can always decide what to took. But if object can take 1.2mm everywhere the overall quality will not bed affected.
    The good thing is you can use first layer and solid infill at 1.2mm, first layer is always "flat" and solid infill is always hidden, so you are sparing time

If they work, using wider extrusion widths for layer 1 when printing with very small nozzles should be a big help with adhesion.

This is true, and it will work 🙂

Respondido : 20/09/2018 4:44 pm
    Larkin Dunlop
    (@larkin-dunlop)
    RE: MK3 - Are you printing with 100% speed?

im currently testing 200% on a benchy 

lol

Respondido : 05/03/2022 8:26 pm
    Helmuth
    (@helmuth)
    Eminent Member
    RE: MK3 - Are you printing with 100% speed?

Posted by: @larkin-dunlop

im currently testing 200% on a benchy 

lol

As mentioned a couple years ago in this thread, the speed % on the front panel of the printer is meaningless for much more than broad brush temporary modifications on a single print.

If you want to mod speed settings, do it within the slicer. You can tune speed increases without sacrificing quality.

Respondido : 07/03/2022 6:21 am
    Página 2 / 2
    Compartir: