It reaches 85 degrees very slowly...

why?

I have Original Prusa i3 MK2 upgraded kit from MK1

Posted : 25/12/2016 6:11 pm
david.b14
(@david-b14)
Honorable Member
Re: Heatbed does not reach 100°!

Are you running the MK2 in low power mode? If so then switch to high power mode.

Posted : 26/12/2016 1:23 am
richard.l
(@richard-l)
Member Moderator

David,

High power mode has absolutely no bearing on the heating of either the bed or the hotend. It only provides more power to the stepper motors.

Amerigo,

Check the heatbed connector at the RAMBo. It may be loose and possibly started to melt the connector.

Posted : 26/12/2016 2:26 am
david.b14
(@david-b14)
Honorable Member

This reviewer found a possible issue regarding low power mode and heater bed temps:

This may have been fixed in the latest firmware?

Posted : 26/12/2016 3:10 am
PJR
 PJR
(@pjr)
Antient Member Moderator

David

Low power mode has never had any effect on the heaters, whatever firmware is used.

There are a few options:

1. Problem with cable/connector
2. Insulate the underside with a cork tile
3. Use an enclosure
4. Increase the PSU output voltage to 12.5/13 volts.

But I am with Richard on this one; most likely to be a cable/connector issue, possibly caused by poor cable management, dirt in connector or cable stressing over a long period of use.

Peter

Please note: I do not have any affiliation with Prusa Research. Any advices given are offered in good faith. It is your responsibility to ensure that by following my advice you do not suffer or cause injury, damage…

Posted : 26/12/2016 11:31 am
david.b14
(@david-b14)
Honorable Member

Cool, thanks for the info. I would not have thought it could be related to the software.

This got me thinking about some checkpoints.

The LED on the bed should remain on until it hits the target temp of 100 degrees.

After doing the suggestions from Peter the bed to should hit the target temp, if not a good test would be to pull out the multimeter and measure the current going the heater bed, which could be done just by pulling the fuse for the heater bed and putting the multimeter probes inline to complete the circuit.

Amerigo, what is the air temp that the MK2 is located at? Are there any drafts blowing on the MK2?

Posted : 26/12/2016 12:56 pm
provenzanodj
(@provenzanodj)
Eminent Member
Topic starter answered:

Increase the PSU output voltage to 12.5/13 volts?

How can i do?

Posted : 26/12/2016 6:01 pm
PJR
 PJR
(@pjr)
Antient Member Moderator

How can i do?

There is an adjustment pot on the PSU, next to the power outputs, but be very careful; there is mains voltage in there as well...

Peter

Please note: I do not have any affiliation with Prusa Research. Any advices given are offered in good faith. It is your responsibility to ensure that by following my advice you do not suffer or cause injury, damage…

Posted : 26/12/2016 10:36 pm
MrMik
(@mrmik)
Honorable Member

How can i do?

There is an adjustment pot on the PSU, next to the power outputs, but be very careful; there is mains voltage in there as well...

Peter

How high can the voltage be adjusted before causing problems?

Maybe this is why my printer does not manage to print at higher than 285C Nozzle temp.

Posted : 27/12/2016 12:04 am
david.b14
(@david-b14)
Honorable Member

It would help, not sure if it will fix the issue. Make sure not to adjust to the voltage too high or other things could get damaged. You can add a controller dedicated to power the nozzle to let you hit the target temp but should check the specs for the hot end. For example, you could run 24 volts to the nozzle only. Have you considered the adding a sock to the nozzle?

Posted : 27/12/2016 12:44 am
MrMik
(@mrmik)
Honorable Member

It would help, not sure if it will fix the issue. Make sure not to adjust to the voltage too high or other things could get damaged. You can add a controller dedicated to power the nozzle to let you hit the target temp but should check the specs for the hot end. For example, you could run 24 volts to the nozzle only. Have you considered the adding a sock to the nozzle?

Yes, the socks are eagerly awaited! In the mail...

Posted : 27/12/2016 12:47 am
provenzanodj
(@provenzanodj)
Eminent Member
Topic starter answered:

the temperature of the nozzle for me is not a problem easily reaches any temperature!

maybe I should think about an enclosure

Posted : 27/12/2016 1:25 pm
Share: