Running part cooling fan at 100% gives me thermal runway

Notifications
Clear all

RSS
MagnumDanger
(@magnumdanger)

If I run the part cooling fan at 100%, it cools the hotend down and the printer stops. Any ideas? Did I assemble something wrong? Thanks!

Posted : 23/07/2018 10:02 pm
Olef
 Olef
(@olef)
Prominent Member
Re: Running part cooling fan at 100% gives me thermal runway

Normal behaviour pretty much. Try using a silicon sock on the v6, that helps to stop the fan cooling the block.

Posted : 24/07/2018 8:02 am
paul.r14
(@paul-r14)

I'm having the exact same problem, not normal behaviour at all. I've had my mk2s/mk2.5 for about 8 months without an issue, problem started after running PID Tuning.

The only workaround I can find at present is to drop the fan to 80% when slicing or go into tune when the fan comes on and change the speed to about 200.

Posted : 02/08/2018 3:42 pm
MockTurtle
(@mockturtle)
Eminent Member

yeah, it happens. especially for prints where the print is concentrated in a small area.
for prints like these its best to offset the print location away from the center (where the temp sensor is located).
one thing you can try in your slicer is lowering fan speed a wee bit after the first layer is done. most times you can speed the fan up again when layer height is above 10mm or so.

Posted : 08/08/2018 5:38 pm
nenad.b
(@nenad-b)
Eminent Member

I'm having the exact same problem, not normal behaviour at all. I've had my mk2s/mk2.5 for about 8 months without an issue, problem started after running PID Tuning.

The only workaround I can find at present is to drop the fan to 80% when slicing or go into tune when the fan comes on and change the speed to about 200.

You should run PID tuning in the conditions you are printing. If you use fan, turn it on during PID calibration.

Just another thought, probaly not your case, but worth of mentioning : Problems with thermal runawys could be early sign that something is wrong with your heatbed wires. I had issues too (not with Prusa printer) and finally the issue was clumsy wiring/soldering I did.

Posted : 08/08/2018 5:55 pm
Share: