Notifications
Clear all

M600 Tool Change - Causing Color Bleeding after swapping filaments  

RSS
treyhebert
(@treyhebert)
M600 Tool Change - Causing Color Bleeding after swapping filaments

Hello All,

Good evening, I hope everyone is well. I have been using my Mini+ for a couple of months now and finding success with manual color changes, set on the slider after slicing an object. I have mainly  been printing  key chains for businesses. I am now having to try a different method as I am calibrating  my filaments, I am finding that most of them have different extrusion multipliers. I have tried to print the attached object with a white tag base (1.09 EM), Light Blue layer (1.09 EM) and finishing off with Dark Blue (1.05 EM). The normal color change seems to only keep the EM of the selected filament at time of  slicing in PrusaSlicer, which is leading to some surface finish issues if my higher layers have a different EM than the filament chosen in slicer.

I have setup the Mini+ with 3 extruders and entered in the tool change on the slider after slicing  the object, but now after changing "extruders (color swap)", the print head touches down on the last spot of the previous layer - rather than touching down on where my new color is going to go. This is causing a dot of dark blue filament to be placed on the letter N, but I only want my top layers to be in dark blue (GAS) text.

The printer is also requesting an  M600 tool change upon the initial purge line at the bottom of the print bed, which is confusing as well.

Also - the forum is not allowing me to attach a 3mf file of my key tag? 

Thank You

Best Answer by FoxRun3D:

To avoid the initial color swap, change the Tool Change G-Code in Printer Settings>Custom G-code to

{if layer_num >= 0}
G0 X0 Y0
M600 ; change to filament for extruder {next_extruder + 1}
{endif}

To attach a 3mf file, for reasonsonly known to the Great Joe, the file has to be zip-compressed before you can upload it.

Posted : 10/04/2024 6:18 pm
Eef
 Eef
(@eef)
Reputable Member
RE: M600 Tool Change - Causing Color Bleeding after swapping filaments

I had simular issues. You could solve this with a "wipe tower". 
For small projects I found this to be a "big" solution for a small issue. 
So I added a small rectangle (10 mm long, 2mm wide) in the colors I use.  (so two colors, two rectangles) 
Depends a bit on where you place them (check in preview), but if placed correct. The new color will first do the rectangle and then go back to the object. etcetera. 
(this way you have your own mini wipe tower. NB: I give it the same height as highest color change. For me mostly layer two or three, because I use this for printing logo's)

We will do what we have always done. We will find hope in the impossible.

Posted : 10/04/2024 8:17 pm
FoxRun3D
(@foxrun3d)
Famed Member

To avoid the initial color swap, change the Tool Change G-Code in Printer Settings>Custom G-code to

{if layer_num >= 0}
G0 X0 Y0
M600 ; change to filament for extruder {next_extruder + 1}
{endif}

To attach a 3mf file, for reasonsonly known to the Great Joe, the file has to be zip-compressed before you can upload it.

Formerly known on this forum as @fuchsr -- until all hell broke loose with the forum software...

Posted : 10/04/2024 9:59 pm
treyhebert
(@treyhebert)
Topic starter answered:

Thank You for this, I will give this a test run this afternoon and see how it goes. I appreciate that

Posted : 11/04/2024 6:02 am
treyhebert
(@treyhebert)
Topic starter answered:
RE:

Hello Good morning, I will test out the wipe tower. The issue is that I try to fit as many  keychains as possible on the print bed, between 10-20 depending on keychain footprint. Have you found a workaround or is the wipe tower the only solutions on the Mini+?

Just inserting color changes on the slider, I have not had this issue yet, after the patch update a couple months ago. The nozzle moves to the layer of CC, swaps filament, and then touches back down on the spot where the new color is going. But that's only a CC with filaments that have the same Extrusion  multiplier. I will have to do the wipe tower if that's my only options I suppose

Posted by: @eef

I had simular issues. You could solve this with a "wipe tower". 
For small projects I found this to be a "big" solution for a small issue. 
So I added a small rectangle (10 mm long, 2mm wide) in the colors I use.  (so two colors, two rectangles) 
Depends a bit on where you place them (check in preview), but if placed correct. The new color will first do the rectangle and then go back to the object. etcetera. 
(this way you have your own mini wipe tower. NB: I give it the same height as highest color change. For me mostly layer two or three, because I use this for printing logo's)

This post was modified 6 months ago by treyhebert
Posted : 11/04/2024 6:04 am
Eef
 Eef
(@eef)
Reputable Member

This is the workaround: 

"Add small rectangles (10 mm long, 2mm wide) in the colors you use.  (so two colors, two rectangles) Depends a bit on where you place them (check in preview), but if placed correct, the new color will first do the rectangle and then go back to the object. etcetera. (this way you have your own mini wipe tower. NB: I give it the same height as highest color change. For me mostly layer two or three, because I use this for printing logo's)

We will do what we have always done. We will find hope in the impossible.

Posted : 11/04/2024 4:50 pm
Share: