Notifications
Clear all

Lasted 18 hours  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS
SteveB
(@steveb-2)
Lasted 18 hours

My Mini arrived after a nearly five month wait. I put it together yesterday morning and printed three files. I started a fourth first thing this morning. An hour in, I got an error message 'E1, requested temperature not reached'. Checked the manual, went to the online forum and troubleshooting info, opened the electronics box to check everything's connected. The fault continued. Sent email to Prusa. Btw, the send message link on the site does nothing. Used gmail.

Anyone wanna buy a pristine non-operable Prusa Mini? Otherwise the thing is going in the trash. Don't have room for storing junk.

Posted : 04/07/2020 10:59 am
Gordon W
(@gordon-w)
Reputable Member
RE: Lasted 18 hours

I'd suggest that you talk to support via the chat facility on the website on Monday, to see what they say.

Posted : 04/07/2020 11:52 am
bobstro
(@bobstro)
Illustrious Member

Always contact support via online chat for a quick response. Log into the online store and contact them there. I've always had a quick response.

My notes and disclaimers on 3D printing

and miscellaneous other tech projects
He is intelligent, but not experienced. His pattern indicates two dimensional thinking. -- Spock in Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan

Posted : 04/07/2020 1:42 pm
SteveB
(@steveb-2)
Topic starter answered:

@bobstro

Thanks for the advice. I contacted the help line who also work Saturdays it seems and they're sending a new part on Monday. The nozzle heating element is kaput.

Posted : 04/07/2020 1:46 pm
SteveB
(@steveb-2)
Topic starter answered:

An update to this tale of woe. The faulty Mini hotend heater cartridge - for that is what failed - was sent in good time the following Monday 6th July. UPS Finland then arsed about for two weeks and I got it yesterday 23rd. 

I watched a couple of YT videos to see how to change out the old one and replace it because I did not receive any instructional diagrams or instructions from Prusa although I asked for them, but hey ho. This morning I went to work on the Mini.

An Allen screw on the same block where the nozzle is has to be loosened first. Easier said than done. The screw was so extremely tight that I stripped the hexagonal hole, which is now almost perfectly round. Back to YouTube for ways to remove stuck stripped screws.

Fortunately locking pliers are not expensive and I managed to order a set of three from Amazon Germany (only 16 left). They might arrive by the end of next week.

To say that by now I have lost any enthusiasm for 3D making would be an understatement. I feel that I should make an effort to repair the Mini before giving up entirely. I was first disappointed, then annoyed. Now I don't care.

If the locking pliers don't work their magic, I shall post the video of me taking a baseball bat to my Mini before dumping the pieces in the recycling skip.

Alternatively if anyone wants to collect the Mini before that, come and get it. I live in Järvenpää 25 km north of Helsinki airport. I won't be sending the Mini anywhere to anyone. I have had my fill of courier services for this summer.

I'll let you know how I get on with the pliers.

Posted : 24/07/2020 6:36 am
Malcolm liked
Crawlerin
(@crawlerin)
Prominent Member

@53stephen

I am sorry to hear you have trouble with MINI. It can happen that some parts may be DOA and some die short thereafter, as with all the electronics. Please don't lose hope, 3D printing itself can be a bit DIY, I'd say it's still going in those footsteps as it was early in the beginning (~8 years ago). Although many things have vastly improved, it's still not in the phase of just going to your nearest hardware or electronics store, bring it home, connect and print. Some knowledge about subject matter and some tinkering skills are still required. And that's also a good thing, opposite would be if you could not just change faulty thermistor or order stepper motor from any e-shop because manufacturer forbids any kind of tinkering and all repairs have to be done by them in their authorized service centers. Heaven forbid they even chip filaments so you cannot use anything else but their own. Sure, some people would prefer it that way, but ... well, to each their own.

Those little screws holding thermistor and cartridge can be hard to remove, especially when filament bakes around it. I hope you get it out either by thosep liers you mentioned or counter-sunk screws. If it fails, you can talk to support, explain what you have done and they may send you new block (where you will fight with unscrewing heatbreak  🤣 ) or even full hotend.

Posted : 24/07/2020 2:36 pm
bobstro
(@bobstro)
Illustrious Member
Posted by: @53stephen

[...] An Allen screw on the same block where the nozzle is has to be loosened first. Easier said than done. The screw was so extremely tight that I stripped the hexagonal hole, which is now almost perfectly round. [...] I feel that I should make an effort to repair the Mini before giving up entirely.

There's a related discussion that may contain some helpful tips before you begin.

I was first disappointed, then annoyed. Now I don't care.

It's always frustrating when I manage to break something, but it's also part of the learning process. Accepting that I'm the one that cocked it up is part of the game. If this has really frustrated you so much, this might not be the hobby for you. Lots of things need adjustment and replacement under the best of conditions with 3D printers. Replacing small, delicate parts that wear or break is to be expected. It might be best if you move on.

While people here are more than happy to help out those in need, reading complaints from people who break things and just want to vent is not fun. Good luck with whatever you decide to pursue next.

He is intelligent, but not experienced. His pattern indicates two dimensional thinking. -- Spock in Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan

Posted : 24/07/2020 2:59 pm
SteveB
(@steveb-2)
Topic starter answered:

You must be a delicate flower if you call my post 'venting'. If you find my posts in this thread disturbing, I suggest you take your own mediocre advice and 'move on'. 

Posted : 24/07/2020 4:14 pm
bobc
 bobc
(@bobc)
Reputable Member

I actually like reading peoples complaints, it gives a balance to the fan boys and lets me know what problems to look out for.

I had a faulty heater cartridge, it failed on the second print. Very disappointing, I had hoped Prusa QC was better than the cheap Chinese clones. Especially after waiting 4 months. Support were quick to send a replacement, but I still have to do the fix. Fortunately I have experience with other printers, but I never much like working around the hotend.

So I fully sympathize with your situation, I would be tempted to visit Finland to take it off your hands rather than see it junked, but I think my passport lapsed.

Posted : 24/07/2020 4:47 pm
bobstro
(@bobstro)
Illustrious Member

You must be a delicate flower if you call my post 'venting'. If you find my posts in this thread disturbing, I suggest you take your own mediocre advice and 'move on'. 

Uhm... I'm not the one who stripped a screw and started ranting about bashing my printer, didn't even discuss methods of dealing with it and wants an audience as they stomp off. If you weren't venting, I'd be very interesting in seeing pics once you destroy your mini. Otherwise, yeah... that's pretty much the definition of venting.

If you want assistance fixing it, you can find that here. If you want to leave, nobody will be too upset.

Posted : 24/07/2020 10:18 pm
gkas liked
gkas
 gkas
(@gkas)
Estimable Member
Posted by: @bobstro

Uhm... I'm not the one who stripped a screw and started ranting about bashing my printer, didn't even discuss methods of dealing with it and wants an audience as they stomp off. If you weren't venting, I'd be very interesting in seeing pics once you destroy your mini. Otherwise, yeah... that's pretty much the definition of venting.

If you want assistance fixing it, you can find that here. If you want to leave, nobody will be too upset.

😀 😀 😀 

Posted : 24/07/2020 10:39 pm
Zoltan
(@zoltan)
Member Moderator

Hi @53stephen,

is your mini still alive or already looking around other trash? Or you did succeed to repair it  and ready to join happy printers?

Let us know, we do not ignore anyone who is in need, indeed ! 😊 

even an old man can learn new things 🙂
Standard I3 mk3s, MMU2S, Prusa Enclosure, Fusion 360, PrusaSlicer, Windows 10
PRUSA MINI+ Prusalink + Prusa Connect

Posted : 28/07/2020 3:52 pm
karl-herbert
(@karl-herbert)
Illustrious Member

My Mini arrived after a nearly five month wait. I put it together yesterday morning and printed three files. I started a fourth first thing this morning. An hour in, I got an error message 'E1, requested temperature not reached'. Checked the manual, went to the online forum and troubleshooting info, opened the electronics box to check everything's connected. The fault continued. Sent email to Prusa. Btw, the send message link on the site does nothing. Used gmail.

Anyone wanna buy a pristine non-operable Prusa Mini? Otherwise the thing is going in the trash. Don't have room for storing junk.

Please do not misunderstand, but before you dispose Mini in the trash, I would like to buy it from you. I like to repair defective mechanics and for this reason I have a well equipped garage.
Disregard the question if you have solved the problem in the meantime 👍 .

Statt zu klagen, dass wir nicht alles haben, was wir wollen, sollten wir lieber dankbar sein, dass wir nicht alles bekommen, was wir verdienen.

Posted : 28/07/2020 4:06 pm
SteveB
(@steveb-2)
Topic starter answered:

Zoltan and Karl-Herbert: thanks for your concern. I am now waiting for Amazon to deliver the locking pliers with which I may be able to remove the offending stripped screw. The head is hemispherical so I don't suppose it will come out - that would be too easy.

If you're willing to actually buy the Mini, K-H, I will gladly sell it if my repair attempt is unsuccessful. I will contact you via this site in that case.

Posted : 29/07/2020 3:52 am
bobstro
(@bobstro)
Illustrious Member

This thread seems to be describing a successful removal technique.

Posted : 29/07/2020 5:41 am
SteveB
(@steveb-2)
Topic starter answered:

@bobstro

Yes, I read that last week. I shall arrange for the local hospital's burns unit to be on stand-by.

Posted : 29/07/2020 7:10 am
Zoltan
(@zoltan)
Member Moderator

@53stephen

btw.  I have been in Finland in 1986 for 6 months (my goodness is more then 30 years) is a very nice country and very kind people I met that time. 

Finnish people are strong, specially when they use your famous SAUNA, so do not give up. I have to tell you a secret ,after I have got my MINI, the not very old MK3S is saddly looking to me from a corner to be used. 

Now back to reality:

can you please let us know, how the printer is behaving yet?

Can you switch it on without troubles?

What happens when you try : settings->pre heat? it does not need to be only a cartridge, it can be a thermistor issue

Can you load/unload filament?

Does it allow at least a short print? 

Any detail counts!!! If you like we can try to chat and see what you have over skype.

Posted : 29/07/2020 7:22 am
SteveB
(@steveb-2)
Topic starter answered:

@zoltan

I just started the Mini and first ran the self-test. The bed heats, the hotend does not. I tried preheating, but it doesn't work. I can't unload the filament because... no heat! And obviously it won't print anything. 

The nozzle temperature is room temperature, currently fluctuating between 22⁰ and 23⁰. 

Posted : 29/07/2020 7:39 am
Zoltan
(@zoltan)
Member Moderator

@53stephen

thanks for info

Is probably strange to ask you if you have a ohmmeter to measure the resistance of the heater cartridge, to see if it is broken (burned out) ?

Or to check the cartridge cable on the route to see if it is not broken somewhere. The best place could be directly at the heater block.

Anyway, you will nedd to unpack the textile bundle to replace the cartridge/cable.

Or probably you already went through this with support.

Posted : 29/07/2020 8:10 am
SteveB
(@steveb-2)
Topic starter answered:

@zoltan

I don't have an ohmmeter, sorry. Why does the textile pack need to be opened? I planned on running the new cartridge's wire along it on the outside. It doesn't matter what it looks like!

Posted : 29/07/2020 9:22 am
Page 1 / 2
Share: