M601 (pause print) gcode command without moving the print head?

Notifications
Clear all

RSS
JV Lobo
(@jv-lobo)
Eminent Member

Hello!

I'm trying some manually written GCODE on my Prusa Mini and I would like to pause the print and wait for the user confirmation to continue, basically what the M601 instruction does. The problem I'm having is that, when using M601, the print head moves to the top-right corner of the printer, which probably makes a lot of sense when 3D printing, but not for my use case.Is there any way I can do the pause without the print head automatically moving?

Thanks!

Posted : 04/02/2024 7:40 pm
Neophyl
(@neophyl)
Illustrious Member
RE: M601 (pause print) gcode command without moving the print head?

Not really no.  When you send a M601 you are basically calling a routine embedded in the printers firmware.  So it will do whatever the firmware is programmed to do.  

Sometimes the M commands have parameters that they can use while executing those commands but looking at the Marlin website M601 isn't even a standard marlin command so its just going to do whatever Prusa programmed it to do.  You would have to change the printers firmware and compile it to do whatever you needed.

Posted : 04/02/2024 8:28 pm
JV Lobo
(@jv-lobo)
Eminent Member
Topic starter answered:

I see... I understand. 
Do you know of any other command that I could use for such a task? (maybe one that is not even a standard marlin command).

Thank you 🙂

Posted : 04/02/2024 9:06 pm
Neophyl
(@neophyl)
Illustrious Member

The prusa printers use a customised Marlin I believe.  However like with ALL printer manufacturers how much of the command set they implement is up to them.  Also Prusa does have a habit of doing their own thing.

The Marlin command set is listed here https://marlinfw.org/docs/gcode/M000-M001.html - that's a link tot the M0-M1 command which is Stop.  That *may* do what you want.  However I don't know what you are wanting to do and I don't know if its implemented on the mini.  Only way to find out is to try it.   I don't have a mini so that's up to you.   Its easy enough to add arbitrary commands in PS using the same method as pause or colour change by using the right click on the slider and adding custom.  

Posted : 04/02/2024 9:14 pm
JV Lobo
(@jv-lobo)
Eminent Member
Topic starter answered:

Thanks for the help 🙂

Will try some commands and see if I'm able to get something out of it.

Posted : 04/02/2024 9:41 pm
_KaszpiR_
(@_kaszpir_)
Honorable Member

https://help.prusa3d.com/article/prusa-firmware-specific-g-code-commands_112173
maybe you could add beep M300 to notify that it is time to take some action, then  add very long G4 time so the action can be performed and add another beeps to notify user that time is running out and the head will start to run in few seconds?

See my GitHub and printables.com for some 3d stuff that you may like.

Posted : 05/02/2024 10:18 am
JV Lobo
(@jv-lobo)
Eminent Member
Topic starter answered:

Thanks for your reply 🙂

So the G4 command is what I'm using at the moment with ~20s in total, which sometimes is too long and sometimes is too little 😂, that's why I wanted to be able to step and the resume when confirmed.

I've been investigating the specific GCODE on the Mini, which in this case is the Prusa Buddy firmware -> https://help.prusa3d.com/article/buddy-firmware-specific-g-code-commands_633112  
It doesn't support the M1 command (which I could use to also show a message), but it supports the M0 that stops the printer in the current position and wait for the user to resume, which it works for me.

Thanks you!

Posted : 05/02/2024 11:13 am
_KaszpiR_ liked
Share: